Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Animated Events: Dinosauria


After visiting the Sloan Museum of Discovery to enjoy their 'Lost World of Dragons' exhibit, weeks later I made the drive down to the Detroit Zoo to see their 'Dinosauria' event. Held in the same location of the zoo that housed their Dragon Forest exhibit last year, Dinosauria was a little kid's dream event.


There were more animatronic statutes in this exhibit than in the the Dragon Forest--not too surprising as it's my understanding that Dinosauria is newer. Add to that, Dinosauria was created by an outside company and is not owned by the Detroit Zoo.


After seeing a couple of the animatronics, I started looking for the motion sensors and what range of  motions would trigger them.


They also had some fun hands-on things, like a sandbox where kids can try their hands at being a junior paleontologist and dig up dinosaur bones.


As it was the Detroit Zoo, there were a plethora of opportunities to photograph flowers and animals.


And yes, I did take a moment to visit the butterfly house on the way out...


Nom, nom, nom...


Looking forward to coming back next year. Hope they bring back the Dragon Forest. I had a chance to talk to one of the 'dinosaur keepers' and apparently it's on rotating display since it's wholly owned by the Zoo.

* * *