Monday, February 26, 2018

Animated Events: Women Animators at AlmaCon


I'm trying to get back into the swing of things in 2018--work on my animation skills, work on my public speaking skills, spread the good word about the history of women animators, stuff like that. And where better to do that than at anime cons!

It started this month with Alma Con up in Alma, Michigan. Well, this con was both good and bad for my purposes. I had a turnout of nine people at my presentation. Pretty close to the threshold for a smaller anime con, I usually expect between ten and twenty people at a smaller con. Four guys, five girls. And everyone was pretty engaged, though the girls were a little too giggly for my tastes, but hey, everyone was interested in the subject matter so I took it as a win. The weather that weekend was poor, I presented my "Game Show" on a Friday night, and they didn't print the description of my panel in the program booklet due to a printing error (quietly bangs head against wall).

So, personally, I think that I might have had a bigger turnout if the weather and lack of booklet quality control hadn't been working against me, but fact is: even if one person showed up, I still would've run the panel. And everyone had fun learning about women animators, so I'm counting this presentation in the "win" column!

My next two presentations will be on March 25th at Shuto Con in Lansing and again a week later in Grand Rapids for ASIFA Central's "Celebration of Women Animators" on March 31st.

Hope to see some of you there!