Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Animated Inspiration: City Park

A while back, I posted an animation by Courtland Lomax called 'House of Cats' (created for Swarovski Crystal). Here's the follow up, using the same visual style, titled 'City Park.'

City Park from Courtland Lomax on Vimeo.

One of the things that attracts me to this animation (and House of Cats) is how they use geometric shapes and color cycling to simulate crystal. Last year, I spent the better part of two days at the Royal Ontario Museum taking photographs of different gems and crystals. The purpose was to build up my photo reference library for an art piece I've been mulling over in my head. While my art piece isn't animation, per se, it does involve crystalline structures. So animations like this are always handy to give me that little nudge back to the drawing table--a nice patient little reminder that it's okay to work on the billable projects, but I still need to spend some time feeding the artistic side of my nature.